1 of 8
2 of 8
3 of 8
4 of 8
5 of 8
6 of 8
7 of 8
8 of 8
Want something different than the traditional green Christmas wreath in your home? Make the holidays cheery and bright with this red and white candy cane yarn wreath that is both festive and simple to make!
I wanted something different to hang in my home that was light-weight and eye catching. A wreath on the exterior of home is inviting people in, yet I wanted something that I could look at and showcase in my home that I could enjoy for more than the brisk moment I stand waiting for someone to open the door.
The Candy Cane Yarn Wreath
What you need:
- 1 Styrofoam wreath (you can purchase one of these at a craft store. The one I used had a flat back to it, but you can also use the fully round wreath)
- 1 skein of red yarn ()
- 1 skein of white yarn ()
- 1 piece of burlap fabric ()
- 1 hot glue gun and extra hot glue gun sticks
- Any kind of decor you would like: faker berries, greenery, pinecones, etc
- Take a permanent marker and measure out the wreath into an equal number of pieces. One of the easiest ways to do this is to divide the wreath into quarters, turn the circle by half and then divide into quarters again. You should have eight sections to fill in: red, white, red, white, red, white, and red, white. You can mark each separation with a light dot or line so you know where to stop the thread.
- Take either the red or white skein of yarn and hot glue the end piece to the Styrofoam wreath. When it is dry and sturdy, begin wrapping the yarn around the wreath from one point or division line to the next. You should fill 1/8 of the wreath with yarn. Go back and forth slowly filling in all the gaps so you can see no Styrofoam.
- Continue filling all of the sections, alternating between red and white yarn. You should have no colour repeating itself immediately after itself.
- Take the burlap fabric and go through the wreath’s opening. Bring the ends up top and tie a bow or knot. Hang on a nail or hangar in your home for everyone to see!
Get creative: Use leaves, berries, festive felt flowers and more to decorate one part of the wreath before you hang it.
Subscribe now or get the digital version
Note: Comments are moderated so once you make your comment, allow 24 hrs for your feedback to show up on our website. If you have any questions email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.